Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Day 290, Jan 23, 2012

A Prosperous New Year!

Today is the Chinese New Year, and as my family and I went to Greenhills (as today was declared a non-working holiday), we witnessed the Lion and Dragon dances being performed in all the stalls/stores of the different buildings in Greenhills Shopping Center.

Tradition dictates that these dances happen as a form of inviting prosperity for the establishments - which will translate to business success. So I was happy to take a few shots here and there - not really following them around, but trying to get a picture of the moment, wherever and whenever I chanced upon it.

It was amazing to see how the 'Lions' or the 'Dragon' would try and grab the 'ampaw' located, at times, in hard to reach places (usually at a height that one person would find hard to reach). Of course, for the curious observer, it was a delight to watch; though for a few old men wanting some peach and quiet in a particular coffee shop, the noise was deafening and a big bother... oh well, it only happens once a year, so they had to just suck it up and bear the noise of the loud drum noises.

A missed opportunity for me was not having the chance to take a picture of a really large and long dragon which was moving around the Greenhills shopping center's street block - said dragon was even lighted inside to give it a surreal look. I'd estimate said dragon to be roughly 10 cars long... maybe more. Oh well... maybe next year.

The picture above is a bit blurry, as things were moving fast, and I had minimal time to prepare - still, I chose this over my other (clearer) shots because it gives one an idea of how long this dragon is. You can see its tail at the left-most side of the picture, and its head obviously moving away from my vantage point.

No comments:

Post a Comment