Saturday, May 28, 2011

Day 28, May 07, 2011

Free Comic Books:

Every First Saturday of May - or is that every first Saturday of May that does not fall on a holiday, the United States comic industry has made it a practice to have 'Free Comic Book' Day (or FCBD) - a day meant to try and attract new readers to the hobby... by giving away sampler - and of course, us old timer collectors like it too, after all... they are free.

This year's batch was relatively 'so so' though. The only real gem was the Amazing Spider-man story which ties into the comics continuity quite well, and makes many of us realize -  and appreciate how Spider-man learns some 'Kung Fu' fighting techniques from Shang Chi (Master of Kung Fu) to compensate for his lost Spider Senses (now when did that happen? See? even I miss out on a few things).

Of course, not all the issues in the picture are free, as I bought some of them - case in pint, the Avengers Academy issues). Did FCBD work? Yes it did, if we think along the lines that the day did introduce non-readers to the comics. Whether they get hooked or not, I wouldn't know. I mean, a day does not exact make reading these comic books a habit, right? And if it does make people read, it's another thing fore them to fork over Php 150 to 200 for one issue. I mean, ouch... most non collectors will easily balk at the const of comics these days. So I can't say if FCBD was really successful.

Nope... for that to happen, maybe they should introduce Free Comic Book Month - and make sure these people read comics for at least 30 days straight (thus forming a habit of it), and I would naturally love to take advantage of that kind of promo as well.

Indirectly, this reminds me that I have not gotten my comics from my regular shop for a month and a half now. Must make time for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment