Sunday, February 19, 2012

Day 316, Feb 18, 2012

Fables Deluxe 4!

This one was literally one year in the waiting. I mean, I'm a fan of the series - yet I find the need to wait for the deluxe version, for I feel that it is the better - more appropriate version to collect.

This is not to say that I'm tempted to read forward - to find out what is happening to the characters I liked. But for some reason - and I am really surprised by this, I was able to hold off getting or reading the paperbacks. Sure, I'm not updated with the stories - but who cares? This is not really a shared universe with the heroes I normally read - so there was no real urgency to hurry up reading these stories.

The only time I read and bought a Fables story outside of the deluxe volumes was the stand alone Snow White hardbound regarding the Arabian stories. I felt that it was a safe purchase, as it did not interfere with the story chronology I was reading from the deluxe volumes - and just to give an indicator of just how much stories are out there, I am reading year 4 (yes, each deluxe volume represents a year) so I'm somewhere in issue 37. Meanwhile, in the regular series, the issues are already beyond 100. So go figure... I'm reading stories several years old as far as the loyal followers of the comic book versions was concerned. But as I said, I don't mind. In fact, there are other ways to read this if I even wanted to. A friend even gave me soft copies of the complete (by then) run. I have yet to read them - not saying I won't... but for now, I'll just enjoy this fourth volume.

Addendum: wouldn't you know it... said Snow White Arabian story I mentioned happens to be half of Vol.4? Nuts...

No comments:

Post a Comment