Saturday, February 18, 2012

Day 313, Feb 15, 2012

Inside a droplet:

It started out as an experiment in getting a picture of a droplet a lot closer than I did the last time. It would up in my getting real close... closer than I expected. In fact, this entire green thing that seems unfocused is the droplet itself (note the slight light reflection on the lower right?), and I actually got an almost microscopic picture of the bubble's inside - specifically the small air bubbles trapped between the water and the leaf.

The semi-circular pattern is possibly because of the bubble's rounded top.  As pictures go - this has to be one of my more surreal shots. So how did I do this? I used my lens and connected it to a reverse ring - trick taught me by my sister-in-law, Bea for taking those really close shots for small things. The ring allowed me to do this hands free from holding the lens in place. I also got my gorilla tripod for that added stability - though in hindsight, I think I needed a slightly taller tripod (or my monopod), as the gorilla tripod could not reach certain leafs, forcing me to look to lower ones.

But once everything was set up, it was just a matter of focusing and capturing the shot. Oh yeah... I definitely got the leaf close up too - after having moved away a bit from this real close encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment