Friday, September 23, 2011

Day 160, Sept 15, 2011

MREs:

As a kid, I was introduced to C-rations, the U.S. military's mission ready food items - ones they brought with them to their sorties. What I liked about them back then was the fact that they came complete with meal, snacks and even dessert - oh yeah, and since they were in cans (thus the term c-rations), each pack had a really small, but highly usable can opener.

Back then, I couldn't wait to open a c-ration to taste what was inside. However, since our relatives in Clark, Pampanga, left - the supply of c-rations had stopped. But once in a while, I still stumbled upon them - specially when I was (some time in the mid-80s) into military stuff (jacket, equipment, etc...) and I even got to introduce the concept to Barbie and her family one time... though I don't think they were in cans anymore.

Time jump to the present and Barbie and I stumbled upon a local store that had a few MREs (as they are referred to now, meaning Mission Ready-to-Eat), and I can't wait to sink my teeth into them - and oh yeah, introduce them to my kids this time. We got two packs - and I hope that this store has more, so I can buy in the future... maybe even give a few to my mom to show her how these things look now.

They're definitely an improvement from the bulkier and noisier canned ones - but will they taste better? Hmmm... only one way to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment